Friday 1 November 2013

The Mysterious Peony



THE MYSTERIOUS PEONY:



That same week, I moved more plants.

Among those still in pots, was a ‘sort of Peony’ - I say, sort of, because when I bought it on our Master Gardener’s trip to Montreal (at a nursery in the middle of nowhere) I saw only the tag and I fell in love with the colour. It was less than $30.00.
I am not sure why, but I neglected to write down the type or name. Then, when it came time to plant it in its new home, there stuffed down under the earth, was the tag.

                                             This is what it looks like. Isn't it glorious?




It is an Itoh, or Intersectional Peony.  Its name is ‘Cora Louise’ and  has the best traits of both the herbaceous peony and the sturdy stems of the tree peony.   Until lately, its price was in the thousands of dollars but in the last few years, most gardeners who love peonies,  were able to find one for around $100.  My, was I lucky !

This peony is listed on many sites as ‘rare’.  Its gorgeous blooms are stunning and once it is established, it will bloom for longer than a traditional peony.
             
          You can find out more if you search on the net for Itoh peonies.




Here it is in early bloom -nestled behind the Fairy rose (in bud in front) and the Japanese Maple




I like to have other  flowering plants among the roses for several reasons.  One is that some roses get leggy and reach for the sky, showing off at the top of the branches and leaving the lower ones rather naked.  This Peony has gorgeous foliage that stays crisp and green until late fall and hides some of the taller roses behind it.

                   



No comments:

Post a Comment